Monday, December 22, 2008

Wild Cravings of a Pregnant Woman

Do I crave weird things while pregnant?? Let me ponder that question as I sit here, 11 o'clock in the morning, eating a bowl of Chili and drinking a glass of water that has a slice of lime in it. Oh and not just ANY chili, Cattle drive chili from Costco, a case of which was an early Christmas present from Owen!! Okay so the obvious answer is, yes I have crazy cravings during this pregnancy. Not that I didn't crave funny foods with the other two pregnancies but this time I fear it is getting out of control. Besides the Chili, I am never very far from the above mentioned glass of citrus garnished water. I just CAN NOT drink a plain glass of water these days, but can't get enough of the fluid when I have added a dash of lemon or lime. My Doctor is actually very impressed with the water situation as Lemon Water will be a great advantage to me in the end of this because it helps ease swelling and water is a great weapon against pre-term labor. With all 3 pregnancies I have been pretty much starving for 9 months. Even when nauseous I am hungry. That would explain why I will never be one of those "basketball bellied" moms. But my weight gain has never gotten TOO out of hand and with twins a person can barely manage to eat all the calories and protein recommended even when they eat like I do... so I feel no guilt!!

Okay so Chili and water no biggie right? Well trust me it gets worse. With both twin pregnancies now I have CRAVED... no MORE THAN CRAVED... shrimp, lobster and crab legs (not a high maitnence woman at all LOL) okay really I just crave anything that can be dipped in garlic butter... and probably would drink the bowl of garlic butter through a straw if it wouldn't absolutely disgust my husband and anyone else having to eat with me. Steak, meadium rare made by my hubby alone, is another huge favorite of mine. Another "good craving" according to my Doc because of all the protein a twin momma needs to consume. Add to the list some old favorites, pickles and ice cream, but not together, cold cereal, hot cereal (cocoa wheats). Potatoes, baked or twice baked with lots of sour cream around 2PM while the babies are napping are another of my recent additions to the list. Oh and I can' t forget to add ham sandwiches at 10PM and Chocolate milk in the middle of the night. Oooo Oooo Oooo and Cherry Sours, or pretty much any kind of sour/sweet candy or peanut M&Ms. The list goes on but I am starting to disgust myself ... not to mention the heart burn I am getting from the chili so I digress.

My kids are falling into old habits like asking, "Is this for mom or can anyone eat it?" before pulling something out of the cupboard/fridge. Heehee. My hubby can also be heard several times a day spouting (imagine your best cave man voice here), "UGH, Momma hungry, move out of way Skinny Man!!" Anytime he catches me in the kitchen trying to hog something down before the twins coming running in screaming "BITE, BITE... ME BITE!!" ... Momma doesn't like to share!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I am laughing so hard! You just described me, and all the things I like to eat. All I could think about when you said chili was, "oh my, the heartburn, is she crazy?!" My latest craving is chewing ice. I will not drink anything without mass quantities of ice. Enjoy your cravings Momma! I don't share either! Thank goodness you have a great husband who will help cater to your NEEDS during your pregnancies. Makes for a much happier household! ;-)

Mamabear said...

My poor husband waits poised when I'm pregnant just waiting to run and bet me what ever I want when pregnant. He craves for me to wake him in the middle of the night to run and get me something im craving. Sadly that never happens. Im a mellow kinda craver. Its one thing normaly and at dinner I want it. I dont wake up at night to my dh dismay. Enjoy. You look great.
Beth