So I thought I would take a minute this evening and add some answers to FAQs about my family(that's frequently asked questions, because I am pretty sure my mom will ask me later LOL) And feel free to ask me later anything I have not covered... we are pretty open people.
Q. Is it hard raising "someone else's" kids?
A. At 1st this question stings a little but then I understand where it is coming from. So I will answer as honestly as I know how. No it is not hard at all and never really has been HARD but perhaps challenging. In the beginning it was a conscious thing that these girls were not "mine". After the years have passed I look back and realize that somewhere along the way they became "mine". God gives us children in many different ways and He has definitely made Siera and Taylor my daughters. I do not know when exactly this happened, I don't think it was on any certain day. I realized it had happened when I was talking with a friend about losing a child and I it came to me that I would be just as devastated to lose one of the older girls as I would be if I lost one of my biological daughters. I think that would be the easiest way to describe it.
ETA: (mom that is Edited to Add ;)) I just had to add this part.... Most people who just meet us do not have a clue that any child is anything but biological to both Owen and I, we have come to a point that we no longer correct people. A friend of mine who I got to know pretty well over the last year was shocked to find out Siera and Taylor were not "mine".. LOL.. Siera happens to look quite a bit like RaeLynn and myself and Taylor is just the spitting image of her dad. People just assume and that is great. It actually was a huge compliment to me because that means we are not treating anyone child different than another, noone can tell who "belongs" to whom because we all belong to eachother. Okay getting corny and off topic, sorry!
Q. Are they all with you all the time?
A. Yes, we have full custody of all of the girls. RaeLynn sees her dad about once a month or so, but he does have the option of seeing her every other weekend (that is one of those long stories).
Q. What religion are you?
A. Because of the size of our family people ask this question, kinda' strange but oh well. We are Southern Baptist, although most people assume we are Catholic or Mormon, I guess those are the two top religions known for their family sizes. We attend a great church in our town and another great church in our home town, we are very blessed to have such wonderful church families!! We try to be a Christ centered family rearing our children to trust in God above all else.
Q. What kind of fertility treatment are you on?
A. None. People assumed because I had twins that are Fraternal that I must have been on fertility treatments and now since the second set people don't even ask anymore they just assume I was and look at me like I am lying when I tell them I have never been on any fertility treatments. I know many women, great friends, who struggle with infertility and I thank God everyday for the blessing I have of becoming pregnant easily. But I still think this is a crazy rude question. Next time I am tempted to ask the person how their last Pap test was... Hey if I am going to share my Gyno. history with them they can share theirs with me! LOL (that is a quick little comment I picked up from some TS moms... you know who you are!)
Q. How do you do it?
A. Just do it! Sorry I had to say that, a big family is just like any other challenge in life you just buckle down and get 'er done. My kids are wonderful and are usually very well behaved and the Grace of God helps us everyday.
Q. Do you watch Jon and Kate + 8?
A. Seriously this is the #1 FAQ these days. I have asked a lot of twin mom friends and they are all in agreement, since that show has come out it is now the 1st question asked by a stranger! LOL Oh and the answer is YES, we DVR every episode! It makes me feel better to see someone with a life a little crazier than my own!! heehee
Q. Do you watch the Duggar family?
A. LOL again YES it is refreshing to see a real large family (I honestly don't consider mine that big) surviving and doing a pretty darn good job of it at that. I also love how open they are about God being the center of their lives. And if it matters I also watch Little People Big World but people don't seem to be interested to know if I like that show or not! LOL
Q. Are you scared to have another set of twins?
A. Yes and No actually. The twin part does not scare me too bad. I am worried about how I will handle the sleep deprivation and seven kids but we will handle it. Maybe this set will sleep through the night at 2 wks old!! yeah right but I can hope. I am actually a little more frightened by the number 7, as in 7 kids with four 2 years old and under, YIKES!! But with the help of our great friends and wonderful family we will be just fine.
Okay my brain hurts tonight and we have kids getting in and out of the tub so I need to get my tooshie off the computer. I will try to remember more FAQs and answer them another day!
Like A Newborn, Only.....
13 years ago
3 comments:
I just wanted to say that you have a beautiful family! I pray that your current pregnancy is an uneventful one that results in two healthy babies. :)
You are so lucky that your DH wanted more kids, I would love to have more but my DH says no. :(
Oh yeah! I'm so happy to see you started a blog!! Now I don't have to get onto myspace just to check in on you. I hope things are going good for you, sounds that way anyways. Come over and visit our little blog.
I'm loving the blog. I can't even imagine some of the questions you are asked! I'm sure I've asked you some doosies as well, but oh well, you still love me. I know you are wonderful parents and I know you are full of common sense and are NORMAL, so I have no worries for you! I pray for your sanity some days, cause I seem to misplace mine frequently. OK, so time to put up some new pics of your new bump!!
Post a Comment